Thursday, January 30, 2014

Early Evaluation and the road ahead

Still in the hospital waiting for stem cell engraftment, I’m experiencing remarkable physical improvement much sooner than I expected.

Legs
Already, my crippling leg spasticity is GONE.  They can move. I can tap my toes.  The horrible fluid retention that gave me old lady kankles over the past two years has just disappeared.  I have returning sensation in my feet. Sort of a warm, pleasant feeling, like a sunny day at the beach.

Hands
Still the on-fire-all-the-time pain I've had for years.  But maybe it’s an 8 instead of a maxed out 10. Hard to say.

Core
While I was clumsily glorying around the hospital room with my newfound legs, I felt a faint, then stronger memory return in my lower abdomen. Holy crap, that’s my core! Those key muscles tie the body’s entire locomotion system together.  MS people often lose core muscle function. I was one of them.  Years ago, a PT would work with me to try to find those muscles. I never could. The nerve signals to do so were blocked.

Bladder
I’m not pissing myself or using my emergency urinal as much anymore.  I can get to the bathroom. Always a good thing.

Eyes
Bright and sharp. I can read up close, or gaze out my window to watch kids playing over at the children’s hospital atrium.

Self PT
The nurses demand I be very careful now. I still have no immune system and my platelet counts are low. A fall right now could be disastrous.  So I’ve started using a four-legged walker to do laps around the room. It’s also a balance point for some basic PT. It’s all clumsy, but happy. I must look sort of like this circus bear.

There’s no telling how quickly or slowly I will improve from here. I expect to have a long road of work ahead if I’m to walk like a man.  Hollywood says we need to get psyched up and motived before we even start a physical challenge. So maybe I must Kill the Bear

Or kick ass, remain calm, and carry on, like This Mild-Mannered Meteorologist.

Mostly I intend to return to my active lifestyle joyfully and not take myself too seriously. Keep sailing, Bob

In addition to seeing a physical therapist, I’ll work out at a gym. And transition gently from clumsy walking to natural fluidity of movement.  I'll be inspired by the Olympics. Maybe try something new?

I hear pilates is good. I’ve never done it.  I’ll give it a shot.

I never pictured myself as one of those guys doing tai chi barefoot in the park. Pretty sure I won’t go there. Nor to where Keanu Reeves took it in Man of Tai Chi.

I used to work out a lot, learning half of what I know from the worst teacher going, experience. I learned it is important to be efficient and identify dangerous exercises before they hurt me. But it’s sort of tragic to waste time on useless stuff when there’s so much better to do. No Cross Fit for me, please. Sometimes it's best to just laugh at stuff like that.





No comments:

Post a Comment