Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chemo Update: Platelet Infusion

In this HSCT procedure, Cytoxan is the chemo that is used to stop the bone marrow's production of old autoimmune cells that cause MS.  In trying to help family, friends and other MS sufferers understand this important aspect, advocates of HSCT often repeat a mantra soundbite "No Chemo, No Cure!"

The chemo STOPS the disease. Stem cells then build a new immune system. To me, this is different and better than some of the stem cell repair stories that have been hitting the news recently. Those techniques use a different type of stem cell altogether, and no chemo. From what little I know, those cells do repair nerves, but the underlying disease of MS still remains for the patient. They will have to stay on immune-suppressing drugs, or go back with more stem cells for further repairs later. I won't.

That said. Chemo is chemo. It's no fun. It has dangers. Any facility that does it has to really know what they are doing.  The patient needs a certain mental fortitude to step up and do it, then get through it.  For me, I found inspiration by watching women beat breast cancer with far harsher chemo and radiation. Krista, Karen, Julie… my cancer-surviving friends, you were and are my inspiration. Sometimes people call me a badass for doing what I'm doing. You chicks are far tougher than me. And to my Aunt Margarette who survived breast cancer, my great admiration. I wasn't really there to see any part of your struggle, but I know you did it. So I dub thee my badass auntie. I'm glad you are still around.

Anyway, my chemo has caused a reduction in blood platelet cells. This was expected and I was forewarned. Today I will get a platelet infusion. Thanks to the anonymous blood donor who provided those platelets. They will keep me from bleeding.

2 comments:

  1. Now I know why I choose to donate "double reds" at the blood drives, Wayne! Apheresis takes a bit longer than regular donations but is even more valuable for patients like Wayne. Consider it, folks! http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/TUTORIAL/BLDBANK/BBAPHER.html

    ReplyDelete