Monday, December 30, 2013

Lemtrada Denied by FDA

One of the points of argument I had with the neurologist I fired in November was about FDA approval of the MS drug Lemtrada (formerly known as Campath).  Just back from a Sanofi/Genzyme sales conference, he was convinced that the drug would be approved in December and that I should wait for it rather than following through with my hsct plans.

My review of the business press had indicated that the drug's approval would be significantly delayed or outright rejected due to safety concerns. The neurologist refused to even look at the article I had found, preferring to believe a drug company sales rep over his own patient. I can only imagine what kind of graft was exchanged with my neurologist and many others who attended that conference.

It is not a happy thing that approval of an MS drug with the potential to help MS patients has been delayed and might not ever be approved. However, it is a travesty that a drug company and a bunch of puppet neurologists who should have known better dangled the hope of Lemtrada's imminent approval to patients who opted to not pursue other available options.  For many MS patients like me, timely treatment equals mobility preservation.

I feel somewhat vindicated in my decision to trust my own research and take control of my own healthcare.  But I'm also mad as hell at the thought of the many MS patients who have once again been harmed by the drug industry's sowing of false hope.

Today's news:
Lemtrada rejected by FDA


The article my neurologist refused to read:
Report slams Genzyme's MS drug on eve of hearing


No comments:

Post a Comment