Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Quick Update

My blog posts have become more infrequent now that I'm getting busy with work. But that's a good sign. I'm working again.  Occasionally I go out with friends.

Blood tests show I now have normal immunity and blood cell counts.  Not bad for being just a month out of the hospital where I had no immune system. Still, I'm being careful to avoid infections as the doctor ordered.

Physically, it's a  slow, steady recovery from MS.  I'm still walking with a cane, but I hope to be rid of that before too long.  Starting PT in a week or two.  It's frustrating to be clumsy and slow, but it sure beats using a wheelchair or a nursing home walker.  Still, I get impatient and want it all back now! Patience must prevail. 

Some notable progress since the chemo/HSCT treatment includes: normal bladder control, sensory improvement in my hands (Wow, I can feel things again, not just the 10 out of 10 pain scale burning sensation my hands have suffered the past two and a half years!).  And I have regained the ability to step in and out of my bathtub by lifting my knee, rather than having to drag myself over. Small victories to some, but huge to me.  I  believe the walking will just keep getting better.

And, no small bonus, I'm thrilled to be not taking any MS drugs!  Life without side effects is pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment