Thursday, February 27, 2014

Off the (Tysabri) Rebound

Someone asked if there is anything I wished I'd known before doing the chemo/HSCT procedure.

Yes. I wish I'd had more comparative safety data regarding HSCT versus FDA-approved immune modulating drugs. Dr. Burt's research, and information provided by HSCT patient-activist George Goss, were of great help in providing counterpoints to the anti-HSCT scare tactics my neurologist threw at me. But the scare tactics were traumatizing nonetheless.  I steadied my resolve to fight to the death and updated my last will and testament before heading to Chicago for my chemo treatment.

It turned out the HSCT/chemo risk was overblown, and the risk from the Tysabri I'd been on had been downplayed.  The following article hit the financial press just before the crippling MS rebound attack that resulted from my neurologist taking me off of Tysabri. MS rebound from a pent-up overaggressive immune system often happens when MS patients are taken off Tysabri.  The rebound concept wasn't really addressed in this article, probably because Biogen is still figuring it out as neurologists continue to prescribe the drug. Though the article does contain an NIH link to "worsening symptoms" resulting from coming off Tysabri. The technical term is Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome (IRIS).  The article headline speaks volumes.

MS Patients Choose Death Risk With Potent Drug Treatment




No comments:

Post a Comment