Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Petition the MS Society

  It seems an unwritten rule that advocacy must become part of one's life after going through a life-changing medical procedure. Fortunately, I don't have to do a fundraiser or ask you for money. But I will ask for a little more of your time.

  Please help get the word out by signing the petition to encourage the MS Society to become an information resource about HSCT. Their reach is far greater than my little blog could ever be. As an organization that headlines its website and fundraisers by talking about an MS cure, their silence on HSCT is unacceptable. Thanks to my friends Heather and Gina for alerting me.  CORRECTION: The link shown for the Northwestern Immunotherapy website should be a .com, not a .org.  http://www.stemcell-immunotherapy.com

Why It's Important
 HSCT stops the autoimmunity that causes MS at a molecular level. It's a scientifically and clinically proven procedure that put my MS in full remission. Dr. Richard Burt, at Northwestern University, performed the procedure on me. This got me out of a wheelchair, restored my vision to normal, ended extremely painful burning sensations on my skin and stopped the indignity of incontinence. I no longer take MS drugs. Remission may not be a cure, but it is the closest thing we have right now.
  My story is not a fluke. Many people who did HSCT for MS and other autoimmune diseases 10 years ago are still in remission. A growing body of research and real-world patient experience like mine is defining the procedure's potential to help people with aggressive inflammatory relapsing-remitting MS.

  Doctors, patients and the MS Society need to know the updated facts about HSCT. My doctor had old, discouraging and incorrect information. The MS Society was of no help. I had to do my own literature review on NIH websites and advocate forums hosted by previous HSCT patients. Finding out about legitimate medical procedures should not be as difficult for patients as it was for me. It's time for the MS Society to help us get the word out.

http://www.change.org/petitions/national-multiple-sclerosis-society-multiple-sclerosis-patients-want-to-know-about-hsct#

No comments:

Post a Comment