Saturday, August 23, 2014

Buck Up, Cowboy

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. Yet that will be the beginning.



Everybody has MS a bit differently. For some, it's merely an inconvenience. Others, like me, experience severe symptoms including devastating fatigue, clinical depression, partial blindness, heat intolerance, bizarre sensations, extreme pain, spasms, numbness, loss of muscular control and crippling disability. It seems like the end.

What kept me going was more than hope. It was that I'd found out about HSCT and formed a plan to beat MS or die trying. Fading away was not an option. After I found Dr. Burt, he saw that he could help me. Six months after HSCT, an MRI scan now shows my MS is fully stopped. Thank you Dr. Burt! And though the HSCT procedure was not easy or cheap, it was not as miserable or dangerous as I was prepared for it to be. I have no doubt that HSCT not only stopped my MS, it saved my life.

For me, HSCT was just one step toward recovery. I have not used my wheelchair or my nursing home walker for several months now, but the MS Tysabri rebound attack that crippled me caused significant neuromuscular damage. My walking is still painful and labored. Now I'm doing physical therapy, qigong, yoga, acupuncture and pilates. When I want to give up, I just remember that walking beats the heck out of a wheelchair. And I remember that Dr. Burt and his team invested their valuable time in me.

Do you or someone your care about have MS that is getting worse despite MS drugs? Are you determined to not give up? Then apply ASAP to Dr. Burt's study or one of the reputable overseas clinics. Getting accepted to these programs takes precious time, months and perhaps years, so don't dawdle. Other patients are making it happen for themselves. I find it very encouraging that the most popular entry in my blog is Where to Get HSCT. There are a lot of determined MS patients out there.


No comments:

Post a Comment