Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Good Results with HSCT

Thanks to everyone who has been so supportive of me during my past difficult years fighting (and beating!) MS. I can't begin to list everyone. Just please know you are appreciated. I'm healthy and learning to walk again. The cane I carry is mostly for menacing feral cats, small dogs and naughty children who might get in my way. 

Since HSCT, my walking has improved and the wheelchair goes unused. No more MS drugs for me! I currently do Pilates and PT to rehab my gimpy gait. Eight months after treatment, it appears I am one of the HSCT success stories. At some point soon, I hope to get rid of the cane entirely. 

Of the hundred or so HSCT patients who were treated before me, the results are promising. The following paper came out the year prior to me doing HSCT with Dr. Burt in Chicago. It's one of the best summaries I've read.

The development of hematopoietic and mesenchymal stem cell transplantation as an effective treatment for multiple sclerosis

...Progression-free survival after HSCT, measured by neurological improvement, decreased disability, and improved quality-of-life, was 82% at 5 years and at long term follow-up overall clinical response was 80%…

No comments:

Post a Comment